Disk Partition

markus reichelt ml at bitfalle.org
Sat Oct 8 01:30:54 CEST 2005

* Thomas Jones <admin at buddhalinux.org> wrote:

> >on a sidenote, using /dev/urandom is a bad idea. f.e. the standard
> >slackware install and other distros as well have the following code
> >(or something similar) in /etc/rc.d/rc.S:
> >
> The above statement, although worthwhile, is not well founded. I
> think it would be better to restate that randomization through
> utilization of SOME pseudo-random generators is not recommended. Or
> maybe even that some are more recommended than others.

The thing is that re-using pseudo-random data after each reboot and
calling that improvement of randomness is ... quite amusing at best
to me. It's not that it's about the quality of randomness, it's the
plain and simple fact that pseudo-random data (of whatever quality)
is reused and that should not happen when it comes to crypto stuff.

Don't know how well founded you need that, but I'm listening :)