Armor headers

Thomas Jones admin at buddhalinux.org
Sun Oct 9 02:40:15 CEST 2005

lusfert wrote:
> Hello.
>
> How can I change text (not by manually editing) in armor headers (for
> example, "Version:") or armor headers themselves (add, remove)? Will it
> affect compatibility with other applications?
>
> Can I put custom text into "Version:" in stage of exporting public key,
> making signatures, encrypting with ASCII output, etc.?
>
> Sometimes I do not wish that others will know what exactly OpenPGP
> implementation and OS I'm currently using.
>
> Thanks

I am really not sure that it is a good idea to do such. Some poorly
written binaries may fault at an unexpected header; and bring your
productivity to a grinding halt. However, all you should have to do is
alter the source code.

I haven't done alot of research, however, it would be trivial to alter
the following lines in the "g10/armor.c" source file to whatever you choose:

<snip>
        if( !opt.no_version )
          {
        iobuf_writestr(a, "Version: GnuPG v"  VERSION " ("
                   PRINTABLE_OS_NAME ")" );
        iobuf_writestr(a,afx->eol);
          }
</snip>

Then simply recompile the "new" sources. Also I believe from the little
bit of code that I did read that the end-user can append to the default
version header with the addition of a -(dash) and some printable
characters. Search for the DEVELOPMENT_VERSION variable if interested.

HTH.
Thomas