Homedir command

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 07:16:48 CEST 2005

David Vallier wrote:
> I am trying to get gnupg to "live" on a USB key and would like to know
> the prober usage of the homedir command, can it be put in the cfg
> file, and if so does it need to be "escaped"  IE "--homedir x/yz" or what.

Ummm that won't work. GnuPG looks in the homedir for the conf file, so
putting the homedir option in gpg.conf is rather pointless.  This is also
stated in the man page. You read that, right? ;-}

  --homedir directory
       Set  the  name  of  the  home  directory to directory If this
       option is not used it defaults to  "~/.gnupg".  It  does  not
       make sense to use this in a options file. This also overrides
       the environment variable $GNUPGHOME.

It sounds like you're trying to recreate the work the GPG2GO folks did on
your own.

There are essentially two ways to so this.

1) If you're always moving between the same systems:
Use the default GnuPG HomeDir (~/.gnupg on *nix; %APPDATA%\GnuPG on Windows)
and set gpg.conf to point to the files on the removable media; e.g.

	no-default-keyring
	keyring		O:\GnuPG\pubring.gpg
	primary-keyring	O:\GnuPG\pubring.gpg
	secret-keyring	O:\GnuPG\secring.gpg
	trustdb-name	O:\GnuPG\trustdb.gpg

2) The other approach is to set the environment variable GNUPGHOME to point
to where ever gpg.conf and the keyring files are stored. This is the
approach the GPG2GO folks use, IIRC.

Can give better answers if we know what sort of environment you're targeting.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10