invalid packet - ignore errors?

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Thu Oct 27 10:56:45 CEST 2005

On 21 Oct 2005 09:36:27 +0200 kage at vego.no said:

> *Is it possible to make gnupg ignore errors when decrypting
> files?*
>
> I'm trying to decrypt a symmetrically encrypted file, but get
> the following error message(s):
>
> C:\gpg\gpg>gpg -v -o c:\out.bkf -d d:\data.bkf.gpg
> gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
> gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
> gpg: original file name='data.bkf'
> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=63)
> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=66)
> gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=37)
>
> The outfile is written, but only partially.
>
> Does this simply mean that the .gpg file is corrupt and that
> the archive can not be recovered? It has been burned on a
> dvdrom, and I had some issues getting a 3GB+ file burned.
>
> This is gnupg 1.4.0 running on Windows XP
>
> The error messages aren't all that informative, not even in
> verbose mode.
>
> Note: I sent this earlier, but got no response. If someone
> could help, or point me to any resources of help, I'd be
> grateful!

Well, KG, we just went through this less than a month ago.
Microsoft Windows has some strange things going on when you
start getting huge files, and the behavior is ANYTHING but
standard, and many more programs besides GnuPG have problem
handling the huge files.

For starters, you didn't say HOW you encrypted the file in the
first place, but I assume it was like this:

C:\gpg\gpg>gpg -o C:\data.bkf.gpg -c C:\input.bkf

If you didn't do it this way, please let me know (I am just
assuming the name "input.bkf" in the absence of what ever you
had).  Because of the problem with large files on Windows, it
should have been done like this using the piping mechanism:

C:\gpg\gpg>gpg -c < C:\input.bkf > C:\data.bkf.gpg

Similarly, your decryption should also pipe both input and
output to gpg as follows:

C:\gpg\gpg>gpg -d < d:\data.bkf.gpg > c:\out.bkf

I imagine they won't post this to the group.  That is why I
Bcc:'d the reply to you.  You should have searched the archives.
It won't handle the problem you will have writing to the DVD.  I
would like to say it is a separate issue, but it isn't.  Large
files can cause a lot of problems on Microsoft Windows.

Ciao

HHH
--
Key Name:  "Henry Hertz Hobbit" <hhhobbit at securemecca.net>
pub   1024D/E1FA6C62 2005-04-11 [expires: 2006-04-11]