newbie: --edit-key problem

Michael D. Berger m.d.berger at ieee.org
Thu Apr 20 01:41:42 CEST 2006

[...]

--personal-cipher-preferences string

did not seem to work either in the config file (without --) or in a
command line.  It was "seen", however, since a misspelling resulted
in a diagnostic.

I ultimately was able to add blowfish to my preferences with:

   gpg --edit-key mdb00
      setpref BLOWFISH <followed by the things that were already there, no
commas>
      <confirm that I really want to do it>
      <supply passphrase when asked>
      <ignore output suggesting passphrase was not seen -- it was>

It is noteworthy that the 3DES cipher cannot be removed by this
procedure, while any other cypher can.  I wonder why this is.

Thanks for help and encouragement.

Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger