Changing HomeDir for GnuPG

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 00:34:57 CEST 2006

Julia Dashkevich wrote:
> Hello,
> Already found a way to add new keys in GPGrelay. The right answer always
> seems to be one click away from me with open source. I am such a deep-rooted
> mswin-product-user created from a bone in which there was no marrow:) trying
> to turn over a new leaf now.
>
> Now I am looking for a safe way to change GnuPG's HomeDir. Would the
> following course of action help me to do it without damage to my working
> programs?
> (1.) back up the Home Dir from its current location
> 2. change the directory from GPGshell's GPGconfig where it says:
> GnuPG registry settings:
> HomeDir=C:\Documents&Settings...
> by browsing for the desired directory
> 3. check if it has copied the files from the former HomeDir to the new one, if not do it manually
> 4. delete (if need be) the directory in the old location
> 5. check that it has written the correct path in the Registry using regedt32
> 6. check if all my programs depending on GnuPG keys are still working properly
> i could of course just try editing the registry and changing the folder
> location manually, but i don't have enough experience editing the registry,
> so i would rather avoid it.
>
> Julia

Registry editing isn't as scary as MSFT would make it sound.

But for the Squeemish, defining the environment variable GNUPGHOME and setting
its value to your new location will override the registry's HomeDir value.
(Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> 'Environment Variables' button).

That will work for GnuPG. I can't guarantee that it will work for all other
programs such as GPGrelay, GPGshell, WinPT. I've never had much luck trying to
change things with GPGconfig; I tend to only use it asa  sanity check to show
what it thinks are the settings.

My money is still on changing the registry. Send me the location path off-list
and I'll send you back a .REG file to do the edit for you.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10