solaris certification

Daniel Guido dguido at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 04:07:49 CEST 2006

(Please correct me where I'm wrong here)

I think I can clarify a bit further.  My concerns revolve around the
RNG in use by GPG prior to Solaris 10 (which comes with functioning
/dev/[u]random implementation).

There seems to be 2 options if you're using a version prior to Solaris 10:
- Use Andreas Maier's SUNrand to emulate /dev/[u]random
- Use EGD

Despite the great amount of work put into EGD I'd much rather have a
/dev/random.  Knowing that, I'd like to use Maier's kernel module, but
has anyone actually evaluated it and decided that "yes, the output
from this module IS random to an acceptable degree and it's acceptable
to use it with GPG"?  Is there any reason why you would not suggest
using that kernel module to support GPG?

On 8/1/06, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 06:06:54PM -0400, Daniel Guido wrote:
> > Can someone update me on the status of certifying GPG to run on
> > Solaris (all versions, all processors)?  I'm looking to place GPG into
> > an environment which requires high assurance and I won't do it unless
> > I hear it from the GPG developers themselves that all of GPG's
> > functionality works in the manner it should on Solaris.
>
> It's hard to fully answer this question.  What does "certifying" mean
> to you?  Yes, I am one of the GPG developers, and yes, I say that GPG
> functions correctly on Solaris.  However, why should you trust me? ;)
>
> GPG is supported via the community.  If you need a higher level of
> support (i.e. an email address or a phone number you can use and get
> an guaranteed answer), you might want to take a look at
> http://www.gnupg.org/service.html where you can contact companies who
> offer service contracts.
>
> David

Dan Guido