[gpgol] Swedish characters are mangled or disappear...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 2 11:52:17 CEST 2006

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:55:29 +0200, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

>On Tue,  1 Aug 2006 22:59, Bo Berglund said:
>
>> 1. Written as html mail in Outlook2003
>> - When received by myself the åäöÅÄÖ characters display just fine.
>> - When received by another person with basically the same setup but
>> with the Windows locale set to US-English the Swedish characters are
>> replaced with jumbled characters (2 or 3, I don't recall).
>
>GPGol assumes UTF-8 encoding for all mails.  I think this is a
>reasonable assumption today and frankly I have not tested it with
>other locales.
>
>> 2. Written as plaintext in Thunderbird
>> - When received in Thunderbird all looks good.
>> - When received with my own Outlook 2003 the Swedish characters are
>> simply gone (disappeared)
>> - I have no response from the US person yet....
>
>Similar problem, we assume UTF-8 but receive Latin-foo.
>
>It should be possible to use the OpenPGP armor header Charset to tell
>the receiving side about the sued charset and then translate the
>body.  Quite some work, though.

You are right! When I explicitly set Thunderbird to encode UTF-8 then
the characters do not get mangled! Thanks :-)

By default Thunderbird seems to encode Western ISO 8859-1.
I have to look in the settings to see if I can set UTF-8 as the
default in Thunderbird.
I will also need to know where to set the character encoding default
in Outlook 2003 of course (probably a lot harder to circumvent
Microsofts Intelli(non)sense....)

/Bo