Export-Classification

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Aug 10 19:49:42 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 05:24:25PM +0200, Thomas Necker wrote:
> Hello
>
> For the purpose of doing an export classification of GnuPG (actually
> only gpgv) I had some discussions whether GnuPG is of "US origin" or
> not. Can somebody tell me whether GnuPG contains parts originating
> from the US? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it does.  All of those parts (all of GnuPG, actually) fall under
the TSU exception, which more or less exempts open source crypto from
restriction.

This is a simplification, of course.  Export classification is a
vastly more complex topic than can be covered in an email.

http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html

David