What does key properties validity and trust 'None' mean???

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 21:33:58 CEST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> We are new to GPG and we have used gpg4win 1.0.5 to install the
> programs on Windows XP Pro PC:s. Some years ago we used PGP 7, but now
> it turns out that we cannot get it to work on our XP-Pro PC:s so we
> are trying GPG instead.

You may wish to find a copy of PGP 8.0.x or 8.1. The freeware versions will get
you the key manager and clipboard functionality.

> But we are facing a problem when we keys and export our public keys.
> When we import the resulting ASC file from others into WinPT by
> drag-drop it looks like it succeeds, but when the key has reached the
> window we see that the validity and trust columns show up as None!

PGP anf GnuPG store 'trust' settings in different ways. PGP stores it and part
of the key; gnuPG uses a separate file. You should be able to imprt your PGP
keyring files directly into GnuPG, eg.

	gpg --import secring.skr
	gpg --import pubring.pkr

> What can we do to change this? Our own keys are Ultimate both in trust
> and validity, yet the public keys seem to lose this, why?
> In one case I have validity=Full but trust=None and I don't know why
> this happened....

Imported key *pairs* will need to be set to Ultimate trust. This corresponds to
the 'Implicit Trust' check box in PGP's Key Properties box. Keys that were set
to Full or Partial trust in PGP will need to have those settings reapplied in
GnuPG - You can do this with WinPT or GPGshell or even the command line.

> Can someone please explain what we are doing wrong here?
> Is there another step after generating a key pair or after exporting
> the public key to make it valid and trusted?
> Or is this done by the other side (the one importing the public key)?

Is the key self-signed or signed by a trusted key?

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10