What does key properties validity and trust 'None' mean???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Aug 20 09:28:30 CEST 2006

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:33:58 -0500, John Clizbe <JPClizbe at comcast.net>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> We are new to GPG and we have used gpg4win 1.0.5 to install the
>> programs on Windows XP Pro PC:s. Some years ago we used PGP 7, but now
>> it turns out that we cannot get it to work on our XP-Pro PC:s so we
>> are trying GPG instead.
>
>You may wish to find a copy of PGP 8.0.x or 8.1. The freeware versions will get
>you the key manager and clipboard functionality.

We can't do this since the licensing for freeware states it is for
non-commercial use and we want to use it also for the company.
Actually 7.0.3 also had this license condition so we could not use
that either. And Microsoft has put in stops on installing PGP 7.0.3 in
the Windows XP-Pro operating system, I believe from SP2...

Last fall I managed to install 7.0.3 on my XP-Pro PC after tricking
the WinXP detection of the setup.exe files it won't accept.
It worked just fine but then I did not use it for a while. Meanwhile
there were a bunch of Windows updates installed and finally when I was
going to test it again recently it caused Outlook2003 to just bomb out
with a message talking about notifying Microsoft of the error. :-(
So I guess Microsoft has put in more stops on the use of PGP 7.0.3 in
Windows XP-Pro. And due to the licensing we decided to look for other
solutions. That's how we found GnuPG.

>> But we are facing a problem when we keys and export our public keys.
>> When we import the resulting ASC file from others into WinPT by
>> drag-drop it looks like it succeeds, but when the key has reached the
>> window we see that the validity and trust columns show up as None!
>
>PGP anf GnuPG store 'trust' settings in different ways. PGP stores it and part
>of the key; gnuPG uses a separate file. You should be able to imprt your PGP
>keyring files directly into GnuPG, eg.
>
>	gpg --import secring.skr
>	gpg --import pubring.pkr

I have done this and it works. But that was not the gist of my
problem, it deals with adding public keys from persons who just
installed GnuPG and created new key pairs.

I learned here now that we have to:
- Import the key into WinPT (Trust and Validity is now None)
- Sign the key (Validity is now Full)
- Change ownertrust to Full (only possible for a signed key)

We did not know about the two last steps and this is the reason for my
post.

Bo Berglund