[Announce] Re: GnuPG Logo Contest

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Dec 2 18:45:07 CET 2006

Hello,

Back in September I announced a contest for a new GnuPG logo.  By the
end of October I received 41 submissions from 31 parties.  The
original plan was to let all the authors of GnuPG who signed a
copyright assignment with the FSF to vote on a new logo.  However, I
only received 11 answers and there was no clear result: Only one
submission got 2 votes.  It would have been unfair to take this as a
decision.

So I looked around and found the CIVS [1] which implements a Condorcet
voting system.  I fed it with the addresses of all subscribers of the
gnupg-users and gnupg-devel mailing lists and started the process.
>From the 1231 unique subscribers, 199 took the time to rank the
submissions and casted their vote.  This time the result is pretty
clear:

  Thomas Wittek [2] from Cologne is the lucky winner.

He will soon see his design used with GnuPG and also receive 50
percent of the received donation (we received as of now 215 Euro but
further donations won't be rejected [3]).  Unfortunately I can't offer
him a mail alias thomas at gnupg because this has been assigned to the
creator of the old logo.

Ranks 2 and 3 are held by Robbie Tingey and Michel Blinn. They will
receive an email alias for their contribution.

If you like to see the new logo, point your browser to

  http://logo-contest.gnupg.org

You will also find also the detailed results of the ballot, all
submissions and the list of sponsors.

I want to thank all who submitted a logo to the contest as well as
those who worked on a logo but submitted it too late.  There are some
really cool designs and I hope that some can be reused for another
project.

Special thanks to the sponsors: Intevation GmbH, Markus Komosinski,
Parag Mehta, Folkert van Heusden, Ralph Angenendt, Alexander Tomisch,
Robert Workman, Simon Josefsson.

The remaining funds will be used to help with a new website design.

Many thanks to all,

  Werner

[1] http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html
[2] http://gedankenkonstrukt.de/ueber/ (German)