encrypt the sent folder

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Dec 5 21:45:45 CET 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 02:30:22PM -0600, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Also remember that OpenPGP is a wire protocol.  The protocol is not
> meant for mass storage.  Sure, you can use GnuPG to encrypt files, but
> once you start dealing with large numbers of them you're generally going
> to be better off using a system that's purpose-built for the task.
> Like, say, an encrypted filesystem.

I must disagree with this.  OpenPGP is not solely a wire protocol.
There are even parts of the specification that were added mainly for
the benefit of mass storage.  It's being used in storage in a number
of places today.

The nice thing about using OpenPGP as an archival primitive is that
each encrypted file is its own file and decrypting one does not impact
any others.  This works well in the context of email, where each mail
is its own object.

David