Problem building 2.0.1

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Wed Dec 6 08:23:22 CET 2006

Werner Koch wrote the following on 12/5/06 3:10 PM:
> On Tue,  5 Dec 2006 18:45, sydbarrett74 at hotmail.com said:
>
>>   I am having a problem with configure. It doesn't recognise that I have
>> these libraries already installed (which I do, and all the latest versions).
>> I'm using OSX 10.4.8...
>
> You need to make sure that the correct libraries are found.  For
> example, if you installed them to /usr/local/ you need to make sure
> that /usr/local/bin comes early in the path, so that an old version
> alreay installed does not get in the way.
>
> You find more information about the checks done in config.log.
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

Hi Werner,

Running Mac PPC, OS 10.4.8 (Darwin 8.8.0)

1. First attempt with ./configure:
-------------
checking for gpg-error-config... /usr/local/bin/gpg-error-config
checking for GPG Error - version >= 1.4... yes
checking for libgcrypt-config... /usr/local/bin/libgcrypt-config
checking for LIBGCRYPT - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking LIBGCRYPT API version... okay
checking for libassuan-config... /usr/local/bin/libassuan-config
checking for LIBASSUAN - version >= 0.9.3... yes
checking LIBASSUAN API version... okay
checking for libassuan-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/libassuan-config
checking for LIBASSUAN pth - version >= 0.9.3... yes
checking LIBASSUAN pth API version... okay
checking for libassuan-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/libassuan-config
checking for LIBASSUAN - version >= 1.0.1... yes
checking LIBASSUAN API version... okay
checking for ksba-config... /usr/local/bin/ksba-config
checking for KSBA - version >= 1.0.0... yes
checking KSBA API version... okay
....[.........]........
config.status: creating po/Makefile

        GnuPG v2.0.1 has been configured as follows:

        Platform:  Darwin (powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0)

        S/MIME:    yes
        Agent:     yes
        Smartcard: yes

        Protect tool:      (default)
        Default agent:     (default)
        Default pinentry:  (default)
        Default scdaemon:  (default)
        Default dirmngr:   (default)

        PKITS based tests: no
-----------------------

But then, with make:
-----
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_libiconv
_libiconv_close
_libiconv_open
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [kbxutil] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
--------------------

2. Second attempt with a fresh copy of the source code and./configure --
--disable-nls

Same results regarding the presence of the required libraries, and for
final configuration.

But then, make (same final results):
-------------------------
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_libiconv
_libiconv_close
_libiconv_open
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [kbxutil] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
---------------

3. Trying to compile libiconv 1.11

with ./configure:
----------------
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: creating include/localcharset.h
config.status: creating include/localcharset.h.inst
config.status: creating config.h
----------------

Then make:
--------------
libtool: install: `4/Applications/libiconv-1.11/lib/libcharset.la' is
not a directory
Try `libtool --help --mode=install' for more information.
make[2]: *** [install-lib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install-lib] Error 2
make: *** [lib/localcharset.h] Error 2

I am still digging in 'man libtool', the whole thing (dynamic, static,
etc...) is too arcane *for my limited knowledge*.

If you need more quotes from the outputs I can send them to you
directly; I shall post to the list the final outcome (if there is one).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Charly