Migrate from gnupg/Linux to gnupg/win32

Kevin L. Collins kcollins at klcollins.org
Sun Feb 12 17:33:10 CET 2006

Due to reasons that I do not wish to go into, I've been forced to move
from Linux to Windows.  I've made the translation with one
exception...encryption.

Following a Mozilla guide, I tried to move my gpg keyrings to the CLI of
gpg for windows.  This was done so that I could get Thunderbird signing
and encrypting my e-mails.

Apparently my secret key mae in just fine, as I can at least sign
outgoing e-mails.  But my public keyring is hosed.  Here's what I get
when I run 'gpg --list-keys':

gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: mpi larger than indicated length (2 bytes)
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring
gpg: failed to rebuild keyring cache: invalid keyring
gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, classic trust model
gpg: mpi larger than indicated length (2 bytes)
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring
gpg: validate_key_list failed
C:/Documents and Settings/kcollins/Application Data/gnupg\pubring.gpg
pub   1024D/12BFE79A 2003-07-23 [expires: 2006-10-01]
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (General Purpose Key)
<kcollins at klcollins.
org>
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (Home E-Mail)
<klcollins at insightbb.com>
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (Home Address) <kcollins at qx.net>
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (Laptop E-Mail)
<scatterbrain at insightbb.co
m>
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (General Purpose Key)
<kcollins_linux at qx.n
et>
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (Laptop E-Mail)
<scatterbrain at insighttbb.c
om>
uid                  Kevin L. Collins (Work Address)
<kcollins at nesbittengineerin
g.com>
sub   1024g/36DBE858 2003-07-23

pub   1024D/9992ADFC 2001-05-30
uid                  Jeff McAdams (General purpose key) <jeffm at iglou.com>
uid                  Jeff McAdams <jmcadams at appriss.com>
uid                  Jeff McAdams <jlmcad01 at louisville.edu>
sub   2048g/83F16B78 2001-05-30

gpg: mpi larger than indicated length (2 bytes)
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring

My public ring has nearly a hundred other keys that I have trusted and
signed.

The kicker is that both the private and public keys work fine on my
Linux machines.

So my question is how can I move my keys so that they work fine on Windows?

- --

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager
Nesbitt Engineering, Inc.