Migrate from gnupg/Linux to gnupg/win32

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 19:49:06 CET 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 4:33 pm, Kevin L. Collins wrote:
> Apparently my secret key mae in just fine,

That's all that really matters.

> My public ring has nearly a hundred other keys that I have trusted and
> signed.

If you've still got a working GNU/Linux system, you can retrieve the list of
keys, if not just get them from a keyserver. All your signatures should be on
the keyserver. (Unless you're using lots of local signatures).

The important point is the ownertrust which is not stored within the public
keyring - so once the keys are imported from a keyserver, you may still have
a usable ownertrust database.

> The kicker is that both the private and public keys work fine on my
> Linux machines.
>
> So my question is how can I move my keys so that they work fine on Windows?

Get the keys themselves from keyservers. (Always better than stale keys from a
keyring file).

Copy the ownertrust or just re-run gpg --update-trustdb. It doesn't take too
long for gpg to calculate who you can trust from your signatures and show you
which keys you need to update.

--

Neil Williams