BZIP2 algorithm

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit7 at netscape.net
Fri Jan 6 14:34:13 CET 2006

lusfert <lusfert at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I downloaded GnuPG source and checked its signature (under Windows):
>ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.2.tar.bz2
>ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.2.tar.bz2.sig

You did that part right.

>Then I rebooted into recently installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.1r0a system
>and built program from source:
>
>$ cd /home/[user]/
>$ bunzip2 gnupg-1.4.2.tar.bz2
>$ tar xvf gnupg-1.4.2.tar

better:

$ bunzip2 gnupg-1.4.2.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -

>$ cd ./gnupg-1.4.2
>$ ./configure

Where did the output go?  To /dev/null?  Since you are not
using C Shell (please use bash, sh, of ksh), do it this way:

$ ./configure > LOG.config 2> ERR.config

Now you can study the results to decide what to do next...
I can already tell you right now that you will be building
the BZIP library.  If you see the following magic line in
the LOG.config file:

"checking whether to enable the BZIP2 compression algorithm... yes"

you will know you are okay.  If you don't ... more on that in a
moment...

>$ make

Ditto with output going to other files...

$ make > LOG.make 2> ERR.make
$ ls -l ERR.*

If both of those files are empty, you may be okay.  If they
are and you are happy with what is in the LOG.* files, then
you can proceed...

># make install
>
>After these steps command "gpg --version" displays the following:
>
>gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.2
>[...]
>Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

<SNIP>

First, I am assuming you put the program by default into /usr/local.
Do you have /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin first in your PATH?
I ALWAYS DO THIS TO MY PATH VARIABLE.  That is because I leave the
older version of GnuPG (and whatever else) alone since I don't want
to get whacked by an update from the OS creators that undoes all that
nice work to get things as up to date as possible (especially useful
with GnuPG).  Download bzip2 and install it in all its glory (which
includes not only the executables, but also the header and bzip2
link library files.

http://www.bzip.org/

Strange, but it isn't as nicely integrated into ClamAV as it is
in GnuPG.  I may REALLY need it there in the future once MS
Windows is dead and the virus writers move on to Linux and back
to where the very first virus was written - TO UNIX!

Strange - it seems like they would have provided bzip2 with the
libraries and header files by now in most distributions by default.
Does anybody know the reason why they are not doing it?

Happy bzip2'ing, but I really would advise that if you are going
to be sending to MS Windows people to use either gzip or zip as
your default compression algorithm.  Most Windows compression
programs can handle them, but one of the things I do to contain
the Trojan files while they are on Windows is to bzip2 them on
Linux.  When virus writers conceal their nasty worms in bzip2
files, all of this will change.

Henry Hertz Hobbit

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.