BZIP2 algorithm

lusfert lusfert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 00:13:37 CET 2006

Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote on 06.01.2006 16:34:
> lusfert <lusfert [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>>$ cd ./gnupg-1.4.2
>>$ ./configure
>

> Where did the output go?  To /dev/null?
Output was on the screen...
> Since you are not
> using C Shell (please use bash, sh, of ksh),do it this way:

I use bash.
> $ ./configure > LOG.config 2> ERR.config
>
> Now you can study the results to decide what to do next...
> I can already tell you right now that you will be building
> the BZIP library.  If you see the following magic line in
> the LOG.config file:
>
> "checking whether to enable the BZIP2 compression algorithm... yes"
>
> you will know you are okay.  If you don't ... more on that in a
> moment...

OK, see here:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-January/027768.html
Log file does contain above line.

>>$ make
>

> Ditto with output going to other files...
>
> $ make > LOG.make 2> ERR.make
> $ ls -l ERR.*
>
> If both of those files are empty, you may be okay.  If they
> are and you are happy with what is in the LOG.* files, then
> you can proceed...

Both files (ERR.config & ERR.make) are empty. Log file contains magic
line too.

> First, I am assuming you put the program by default into /usr/local.
GnuPG installs into /usr/local/bin.
> Do you have /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin first in your PATH?
> I ALWAYS DO THIS TO MY PATH VARIABLE.  That is because I leave the
> older version of GnuPG (and whatever else) alone since I don't want
> to get whacked by an update from the OS creators that undoes all that
> nice work to get things as up to date as possible (especially useful
> with GnuPG).  Download bzip2 and install it in all its glory (which
> includes not only the executables, but also the header and bzip2
> link library files.
>
> http://www.bzip.org/

Thanks, this helps.
I installed bzip2-1.0.3.tar.gz and after this command "./configure"
found bzlib.h without additional options. Now after compiling "gpg
--version" displays:

gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.2
[...]
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

Thanks to everyone!

--
My current OpenPGP key ID: 0x500B8987
Key fingerprint: E883 045D 36FB 8CA3 8D69  9C79 9E35 3B56 500B 8987