BZIP2 algorithm

Josh huber+gpg at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Jan 13 18:13:03 CET 2006

lusfert <lusfert at gmail.com> writes:

> Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote on 06.01.2006 16:34:

>> http://www.bzip.org/
>>

> Thanks, this helps.
> I installed bzip2-1.0.3.tar.gz and after this command "./configure"
> found bzlib.h without additional options. Now after compiling "gpg
> --version" displays:

Rather than installing from source, the correct thing to do here
would be to install the bzip2 library "dev" package:

# apt-get install libbz2-dev

You can use dpkg to verify that it contains the files you
want/need:

$ dpkg -L libbz2-dev
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libbz2.a
/usr/include
/usr/include/bzlib.h
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/lib/libbz2.so
/usr/share/doc/libbz2-dev

In the future, if you're looking for a development package, and
you don't know what to install, I'd recommed using the apt-file
utility. (install with "apt-get install apt-file")

First, make sure the file lists are up-to-date:

# apt-file update
[snip output]

Next, search by filename pattern:

# apt-file search bzlib.h
libbz2-dev: usr/include/bzlib.h

Similarly, you can use "apt-cache" to search package names and
descriptions:

Make sure the package lists are up-to-date:

# apt-get update
[snip output]

Search based on name/description:

$ apt-cache search bz2 development
libbz2-dev - high-quality block-sorting file compressor library - development

Hope that helps in the future,
Josh