GPGOL breaks Enigmail

Bob Henson bob.henson at galen.org.uk
Mon Jan 23 20:43:11 CET 2006

Patrick Brunschwig wrote

> Werner Koch wrote:

>>> Yes, it installs gpg into the same location as the new installer of
>>> gpg does. The HOMEDIR is the user specific directory.
>>>
>>> c:\Program files\gnu\gnupg\gpg --version
>>>
>>> should show the homedir.
>
> So, possibly the HOMEDIR could have changed, which would result in an
> "empty" keyring.
>
> Bob, if your keyring is originally stored in C:\Gnupg, then you should
> move it to the directory that "c:\Program files\gnu\gnupg\gpg --version"
> will tell you.
>
> -Patrick

That's exactly what had happened. GnuPG was looking for the keyring in its
own directory, c:\program files\gnu\gnupg, rather than under the user
specific directory where the keyring lives normally. I'm not used to using
it from the command line, but I saw that in the gpg directory there were 0
byte keyrings so I deleted them, then ran the --list-keys command and it
recreated them. Assuming, therefore, that it had "lost" the directory, I
read back in the install notes and found the appropriate registry key and
reset it to point GnuPG back at my keyrings and voila! - all was well.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help. Now the only problem is to get rid
of the bits of GPGOL left in Outlook - every time I run it I get an error
message telling me it can't find the GPGOL .dll file - hardly surprising
because I deleted it. It looks as though there are a few registry entries I
haven't found and deleted yet. Still, now everything is working again that's
the least of my worries.

Regards,

Bob