Trouble with enigmail and Thunderbird 1.5

Bob Henson bob.henson at galen.org.uk
Mon Jan 23 21:13:05 CET 2006

Jean-David Beyer wrote

> I have recently switched ISP, but I also upgraded Thunderbird at the same time.
>
> Now when I get a gpg signed e-mail, I supposedly can check the pen? and it
> will offer to download the key, giving me a choice of keyservers. I
> generally pick random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de
>
> But now, when I do that, it just buzzes around and never downloads the key.
> I looked at my firewall, and it is not blocking it. I tried it manually with
>
>  gpg --keyserver keyserver.kjsl.com --recv-key 0xF621EDAD
>
> for example, and it worked fine.
>
> Is this a known problem? Or should I find a Thunderbird newsgroup to ask?
> And if so, which one?

I use Thunderbird 1.5/GnuPG/Enigmail and haven't had any major problems ( I
just downloaded your key quite quickly from random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de
a minute or two ago) but I have noticed that server to be intermittently
slow during the last few days - I recall one one occasion changing server to
get a key quickly. I put it down to the server being busy or under repair or
whatever. I haven't seen any mention of problems in the Thunderbird support
newsgroup or forums, so it may just be a coincidence that the server had
problems just as you switched to TB. On the other hand, encryption doesn't
get discussed much in the forums. Sorry that's not very positive.

Regards,

Bob