Card readers supported by GPG's internal drivers

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 13:22:28 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 12:02:12PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 10:03:20PM +0100, Tony Whitmore wrote:
>
> > I'm running Ubuntu Dapper. Am I right in thinking the entries in
> > /proc/bus/usb/XXX/XXX should be modified to match the rules (i.e. group
> > scard, mode 644)? Because they don't seem to be:
>
> Current systems with udev should use somewhere obviously named in /dev
> by default, with libusb preferring them.  It's those that get their
> permissions changed.  There are unresolvable races with using /proc.

Thanks for confirming this Mark. It's what I had suspected from the strace
output [1]. gpg is certainly looking at entires in /dev/bus/usb
when it runs, and doesn't seem to reference /proc at all. Having changed the
permissions on the relevant device node, it hasn't changed the situation.

Thanks,

Tony

[1] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-July/028983.html