Using an official Austrian key on a smartcard with OpenPG

Joe Smith unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 4 04:01:28 CET 2006

>> And since it works with Mozilla, I suspect your banking card is using a
>> X.509 certificate not a PGP key.
>
> Probably. However, I still need to sign mails with this smartcard, so is
> there
> still a way to use this card with the X.509 certificates with kmail /
> gnupg?
> For official documents I'll sooner or later need to sign with this card.

I'm pretty sure that what you want is gpg 1.9

AFAICT, X.509 certs are usually used with S/MIME. There is nothing that
prevents the use
of OpenPGP encyption formating, but few utilities will support that.
Fortuanteately GPG 1.9 does (or will) support many types of cards other than
the OpenPGP card when
doing S/MIME encyption, so you may be in luck. Feel free to contact Werner
as he is really in change of
of this project, and is also quite involved in the smart card aspects.