Delete uid from keyserver

Peter Palfrader peter at palfrader.org
Mon May 22 12:12:42 CEST 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If an uid is no longer in use, but the key itself is. Eg. I've updated
> the key by removing an uid, and later added a new one. What is the
> best practice when it comes to reflect the cahnges on the keyservers?
>
> Should I just upload my new key, merging the new uids with the old,
> and leave it at that?  Or should I revoke the entire key, then upload
> the new one (which is practically the same, only with an updated uid
> list)?

You can revoke uids (gpg --edit, then select the uid with its number,
then revuid).  This won't make them disappear from the keyservers, but
it will mark the UID as no longer being a valid UID for that key in
GnuPG and other OpenPGP implementations.

As you might have noticed, you cannot remove uids, or anything for that
matter, from keyservers.

Peter