Cipher v public key.

David Gray david.gray at turpin-distribution.com
Fri May 26 18:20:04 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Just starting a project where one of our customers will be sending
encrypted data files from their windows based servers to be
decrytpted on our VMS servers.

They have not yet decided which product they will use for for encryption
but I'm hoping to steer them down the GnuPG path as I've done a quick
test and it works perfectly between those two operating systems.

One question they have asked which I'm not sure of the answer is that can
GnuPG handle the AES256 alogorithm?  The gpg --version on my VMS system
shows...

$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.3
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: /SYS$LOGIN/gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

AES256 is listed as a cipher but not a public key?  What is the
The difference?  I was hoping to use asymmetric keys with me
Giving the public key to the customer.  As mentioned before this all
Works fine but I'm not sure which alogorithm I'm using when encrypting.

So after all that my question really is, how do I set the alogorithm to
AES256
in windows so I can test decrypts on VMS?

Thanks in advance
Dave