Cipher v public key.

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri May 26 18:32:04 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 05:20:04PM +0100, David Gray wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just starting a project where one of our customers will be sending
> encrypted data files from their windows based servers to be
> decrytpted on our VMS servers.
>
> They have not yet decided which product they will use for for encryption
> but I'm hoping to steer them down the GnuPG path as I've done a quick
> test and it works perfectly between those two operating systems.
>
> One question they have asked which I'm not sure of the answer is that can
> GnuPG handle the AES256 alogorithm?  The gpg --version on my VMS system
> shows...
>
> $ gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.3
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
> conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> Home: /SYS$LOGIN/gnupg
> Supported algorithms:
> Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
> Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
> Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

Yes, this can handle AES256.  It's listed, so it can be handled.

> AES256 is listed as a cipher but not a public key?  What is the
> The difference?  I was hoping to use asymmetric keys with me
> Giving the public key to the customer.  As mentioned before this all
> Works fine but I'm not sure which alogorithm I'm using when encrypting.

You're using both an asymmetric key (RSA, DSA, ELG-E), and symmetric
key (AES, CAST5, TWOFISH, etc) when you encrypt.

> So after all that my question really is, how do I set the alogorithm
> to AES256 in windows so I can test decrypts on VMS?

It's possible you're already using AES256.  Add a "-v" to your gpg
command line when you encrypt to see which cipher it is using.

David