adding passphrases to gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 24 12:26:05 CET 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:01, jalmeida at math.ist.utl.pt said:

> need) and which I can setup once and forget about it. Of course,
> identities must be added (with ssh-add) after rebooting or if the
> service goes down for some random reason (it didn't happen yet) or if I

It seems that you don't understand for what gpg-agent is good for.
This is of course my fault.

> chose to clear everything by sending the service a HUP. It works
> transparently, regardless of whether ssh is called from X or from
> another ssh session or whatever.

That is how you use gpg-agent.  Really, it is a plug-in replacement of
ssh-agent.  It works different internally but at a user level it is
very simlar.

For example, you don't need to use ssh-add every time after starting
the agent.  You do it only once and gpg-agent will store the entire
key on disk and no just in memeory as ssh-agent does.  If you later
want to control what ssh keys are available to gpg-agent, you can edit
the ~/.gnupg/sscontrol file and give gpg-agent a HUP.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner