Problem generating keys on FSFE card

Werner Dittmann Werner.Dittmann at t-online.de
Wed Oct 18 20:33:04 CEST 2006

Werner,

thanks for the hint. The gpg internal CCID reader works and
it seems it solved the problem.

Just as an info for the other fellow list members:
IMHO the gpg version included in SUSE 10.1 was not compiled
with libusb support thus it requires the pcscd and the
associated libraries. Therefore I downloaded the current version
(1.4.5) and did the usual tripple-play
./configure; make; sudo make install

Now I can access the smart card directly via CCID (after having
done the preliminary steps to install the card reader in udev)

BTW, the howto on the FSFE page
"http://www.fsfe.org/en/card/howto/subkey_howto" states that
after successful creation of the sub-keys I shall register
the new encryption sub-key (stored on the card) with the
key servers. What about the signature sub-key? Or shall I
register the complete key, that is the keys created with
"addcardkey" and the ElGamal encryption key, with the key
server? Some advise appreciated.

Regards,
Werner D.