DSA2

Ryan Malayter ryan at malayter.com
Sun Sep 24 23:02:54 CEST 2006

On 9/24/06, Qed <qed at tiscali.it> wrote:
> I haven't seen much traffic on ietf-openpg mailing list about this
> issue, maybe the last message about ECC was in 2001.
> ECC is not a priority task for RCF2440, do you think this statement is
> more acceptable?

As far as I know, Certicom and others control many patents related to
ECC in the USA, Canada, and several other jurisdictions. Which is
probably why there is no effort to add these to an "open standard"
such as PGP that might then be patent-encumbered.

The OpenSSL project recetly added ECC to its portfolio of algorithms,
though, so someone must have done the investigatory work to determine
that the OpenSSL implementation was not patented.

--
   RPM