comment and version fields. [Long]

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Wed Apr 4 02:02:01 CEST 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
>> There are man pages, which can't be read under windows
>
> Not that I take much glee in knowing there are things I can read on
> linux that Windows users can't, but I thought that the man pages were
> generally included with the windows builds and you could open them
> with a text editor.  But it's been a long time since I even looked at
> a windows box with gpg installed.

The man pages are furnished as prepared text. If they were not bundled with the
GnuPG software, the packager he obtained the software from needs to be taken to
task.

>> Does it say that the comment lines I read in the (clearsigned)
>> message before running it through GPG are not part of the signed
>> message, that any third party between the sender and me could have
>> altered them?
>
> If you're not comfortable with the tool, then that's why there are
> many convenient wrappers/plugins that handle this automatically.  I
> think it seems reasonable to assume that if you're running things
> through gpg manually, on the command-line, that you ought to have a
> little more understanding of the tool.

Enigmail brackets signed text between
	********* *BEGIN ENCRYPTED or SIGNED PART* *********
and
	********** *END ENCRYPTED or SIGNED PART* **********
markers. Those would seem to be a bit obvious.

>> Fixing the RFC is probably not an option, but being more clear in
>> user documentation is. Not just the official GnuPG manual, but the
>> OpenPGP help file in enigmail, and other MUA wrappers.
>
> Since enigmail doesn't even show you the comment field, why would
> anything need to be added to its help file about it?  Ditto for most
> of the other mail plugins that I've seen and used.

The only way to see the comments in Enigmail is to either, view the message
source, or to turn off the default behavior of automatically decrypting ot
verifying messages.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"