Key Revocation

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Apr 14 03:45:23 CEST 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 06:00:44PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> This may sound simple, but I want to make sure I get it done right. My ISP/DSL
> provider, Embarq, has dumped Earthlink as their mail provider sine 9 April
> and setup their own mail servers. Simple, revoke the EL key and make a new
> key for Embarq, except, the two have come to an agreement and that is that
> Earthlink will continue to forward mail for Embarq users until 31 Oct.
> Question being do I keep the Earthlink key and also generate one for my
> Embarq address or once I have everything setup for the Embarq servers
> generate one for Embarq and at that time reovke the Earthlink key?

This is one of those things that can be done in multiple different
ways - all of which are "right".

If you can get mail today at the Embarq address, even though the
Earthlink address still works, there is no harm in making an Embarq
key now.  You can revoke the Earthlink key whenever you'd like -
personally, I'd do it when the Earthlink address stops forwarding.

There is one other way to do this that you might want to consider.
Instead of making a new key, just add a new user ID to your existing
key.  The end result is a key with two addresses on it.  Once the
Earthlink forwarding stops, revoke just the Earthlink user ID on the
key (not the whole key).

David