Key Revocation

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Sat Apr 14 06:36:37 CEST 2007

Chris wrote:
> This may sound simple, but I want to make sure I get it done right. My ISP/DSL
> provider, Embarq, has dumped Earthlink as their mail provider sine 9 April
> and setup their own mail servers. Simple, revoke the EL key and make a new
> key for Embarq, except, the two have come to an agreement and that is that
> Earthlink will continue to forward mail for Embarq users until 31 Oct.
> Question being do I keep the Earthlink key and also generate one for my
> Embarq address or once I have everything setup for the Embarq servers
> generate one for Embarq and at that time reovke the Earthlink key?

Why revoke and create a new key? Why not just add the new address on a new UID,
and make it primary. Sometime between now and Oct 31, you can revoke the old UID.

My AT&T address became Comcast; that became Roadrunner.

Same person. Same key. Just a new email address. Plus the revoked address gives
clueful folks the hint that email shouldn't be sent there.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"