Gnupg cannot handle extremely large keys on 32 bit Linux

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Sat Apr 14 17:55:54 CEST 2007

David Shaw wrote the following on 4/14/07 5:31 PM:
[...]

> And this is a regular 1.4.7, no patches or anything done beyond
> download, ./configure, and make ?  And you tested it with the exact
> key from the original email at
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2007-April/030733.html ?

A regular 1.4.7, with source code downloaded from gnupg.org, signature
downloaded from same site, verified OK.

Compiled (as I always do) with Apple's Developers Tools that is a part
(optional install) of the original MacOS 10.4.*, code-named Tiger.

The only thing I did, was to cp idea.c to cipher, and then ./configure,
make and make install. Everything flowed from start to end.
--------
$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.7
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
---------

Tested with the key block that is embedded in Alexander Feigl's email to
the gnupg-users list, as per the URL you mentioned above.

> I'm not sure where to go with this from here.  Clearly you and I are
> doing something different.  I just downloaded a brand new copy of the
> 1.4.7 tarball from ftp.gnupg.org, and built it again on three
> platforms and tested against the key from the original email.  It
> still works.
>
> Can someone else with a Mac try importing that key?

I hope someone will pick up the hint, I'm taking the liberty of
cross-posting to macgpg-users.

Charly