Batch Mode and decrypt

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Apr 15 06:19:08 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:23:24PM -0500, jane grove wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to use the GnuPG command "decrypt" in batch mode (i.e. in a script).
> When I use the option "--batch", I don't have a way to enter the user
> id or passphrase.

Look at the --passphrase-fd, --passphrase-file, or --passphrase
options.  They are all in the manual, and can be used to provide a
passphrase during batch operation.

However, if you are including the passphrase in a script, it is worth
asking yourself if there is any security benefit in having a
passphrase-protected key at all.  After all, an attacker who gets
access to the script needs merely to read it to know the passphrase.

David