Lost passphrase

Peter S. May me at psmay.com
Tue Apr 17 17:51:15 CEST 2007

Sven Radde wrote:
> If yes, you're quite screwed as it will stay there forever: New contacts
> will not know which key to choose when they look your name up on the
> keyservers. People might be smart enough to use the newer of the two
> keys. If you don't rely so much on the keyservers to distribute your
> key, it is also less of a problem.
> This *will* sort itself out, however, after the email exchange with them
> has begun: If you receive a message encrypted to your old key, you would
> email them back to use the new one instead. It is just an inconvenience
> to set up the "communication channel" to you. Once your communication
> partner has the correct key in his local keyring, everything will be fine.

I would add to this not to forget the role of Web of Trust in OpenPGP.
To mitigate the effect of losing control of a key, get anyone who signed
your public key (if applicable) to revoke their sigs on the old key and
sign your new one, setting up new in-person meetings as necessary.  The
consensus of even one person you have in common could be a sufficient
clue as to which one is _probably_ right.

Mis dos centavos
PSM