Key Revocation

Chris cpollock at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 05:40:19 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 11:36 pm, John Clizbe wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > This may sound simple, but I want to make sure I get it done right. My
> > ISP/DSL provider, Embarq, has dumped Earthlink as their mail provider
> > sine 9 April and setup their own mail servers. Simple, revoke the EL key
> > and make a new key for Embarq, except, the two have come to an agreement
> > and that is that Earthlink will continue to forward mail for Embarq users
> > until 31 Oct. Question being do I keep the Earthlink key and also
> > generate one for my Embarq address or once I have everything setup for
> > the Embarq servers generate one for Embarq and at that time reovke the
> > Earthlink key?
>
> Why revoke and create a new key? Why not just add the new address on a new
> UID, and make it primary. Sometime between now and Oct 31, you can revoke
> the old UID.
>
> My AT&T address became Comcast; that became Roadrunner.
>
> Same person. Same key. Just a new email address. Plus the revoked address
> gives clueful folks the hint that email shouldn't be sent there.

I'll be changing over to my new email address tomorrow so I want to make sure
I understand the procedure. According to the manpage I want to run $gpg
--edit-key cpollock at earthlink.net. I'm then presented with this info:

[chris at cpollock ~]$ gpg --edit-key cpollock at earthlink.net
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.6; Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Secret key is available.

pub  1024D/98E6705C  created: 2005-11-23  expires: never       usage: SCA
                     trust: ultimate      validity: ultimate

Command>

I 'assume' at the "Command>" prompt I'd enter adduid and my new embarqmail.com
address. Once that is done, in order to make it the primary key would I then
have to again run gpg --edit-key and my new uid and at the Command> prompt
enter primary? If I understand this right I'll still be using the same key
only with a different address. Since I've now, hopefully, made my embarq
address my primary is it just a simple matter of exporting this to the
keyservers?  Then later down the road when I'm sure that all mailing lists
and so forth have changed to the new address I just run all the above and at
the Command> prompt run revuid cpollock at earthlink.net.  Please let me know if
I've got something wrong in the way I understand this.

Thanks
Chris

--
Chris