Key Revocation

John W. Moore III jmoore3rd at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 21 06:12:27 CEST 2007

Chris wrote:

> I'll be changing over to my new email address tomorrow so I want to make sure
> I understand the procedure. According to the manpage I want to run $gpg
> --edit-key cpollock at earthlink.net. I'm then presented with this info:
>
> [chris at cpollock ~]$ gpg --edit-key cpollock at earthlink.net
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.6; Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> Secret key is available.
>
> pub  1024D/98E6705C  created: 2005-11-23  expires: never       usage: SCA
>                      trust: ultimate      validity: ultimate
>
> Command>
>
> I 'assume' at the "Command>" prompt I'd enter adduid and my new embarqmail.com
> address. Once that is done, in order to make it the primary key would I then
> have to again run gpg --edit-key and my new uid and at the Command> prompt
> enter primary? If I understand this right I'll still be using the same key
> only with a different address. Since I've now, hopefully, made my embarq
> address my primary is it just a simple matter of exporting this to the
> keyservers?  Then later down the road when I'm sure that all mailing lists
> and so forth have changed to the new address I just run all the above and at
> the Command> prompt run revuid cpollock at earthlink.net.  Please let me know if
> I've got something wrong in the way I understand this.

Just type "adduid" (w/o quotes) then follow the prompts to Enter the
Name; Comment & Email Address.  For "Comment" You may either leave it
blank or put whatever.  You might wish to use this to say:  New Email
Address

Whatever is in the Comment field here will have no effect upon the Key.
 It is for informational purposes only; but remember, it *cannot* be
changed or Deleted in the future without re-creating another UID!

You will then be prompted to Enter the Passphrase and then be returned
to the Command Prompt.  At this time Your Key will be showing _both_
UID's.  You may then either type "save" and be done or; type "2" and see
the asterisk appear next to the New UID.  Then type "primary" and change
the New UID to the Primary UID at this time.  Then type "save" and have
it all done at one time.

Later, You can decide whether or not You wish to Revoke the Old UID or
simply Disable it.  Opinions will vary and I won't suggest either one.

Just remember to ignore the quotes I've placed around the commands I
listed above. :)

JOHN ;)
Timestamp: Saturday 21 Apr 2007, 00:11  --400 (Eastern Daylight Time)