Algorithm 11 not available

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Apr 27 18:17:48 CEST 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 11:34:46AM -0400, Blumenthal, Uri wrote:
> Since SHA224 is part of the NIST standard, and TIGER isn't - I question
> this decision and hope that GPG-2 team will reconsider.

Everyone take a breath.  There is nothing wrong, and nobody has
decided to not support SHA224.  The GPG 2 svn already has SHA224
support, and GPG 2.0.4, when it is released, will have SHA224.
Remember that GPG2 uses libgcrypt for it's crypto, so you'll also need
to use a libgcrypt that has SHA224.

That said, however, SHA224 in OpenPGP is a strange thing and is mainly
there for completeness.  It is essentially SHA256 with 32 bits lopped
off, so it costs the same as 256, but only gets the value of 224.

David