Compression routines - please include 7-Zip

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 20 23:13:35 CEST 2007

Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:46, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:
>> If you are interested in pitching this, I would suggest pitching it to
>> the IETF.  GnuPG's typical position is to only support the RFC, without
>> any embrace-and-extend.
>
> Right, we won't support things which are not in the standard or at least
> described in a draft of whom we know that it will end up as a standard.
>
> For interoperability we can't use new compression algorithms.  There is
> also the issue that adding algorithms does not help to keep a standard
> clean.  I was not in favor of bzip2 for that reasons and in
> retrospective I's better not pushed the ZLIB algorithm.

Werner,

I agree with both Rob and you on this. Those who want to campaign for 7-Zip can
pitch it to the IETF Working Group. Though if it's only marginally better than
BZIP2, the WG is likely not to accept it.

But the 'not in the standard' and interoperability remarks lead me to wonder,
"Why is TIGER192 in the Windows build of GnuPG2 that's in GPG4Win?"

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"