Compression routines - please include 7-Zip

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Aug 20 22:38:56 CEST 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:46, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> If you are interested in pitching this, I would suggest pitching it to
> the IETF.  GnuPG's typical position is to only support the RFC, without
> any embrace-and-extend.

Right, we won't support things which are not in the standard or at least
described in a draft of whom we know that it will end up as a standard.

For interoperability we can't use new compression algorithms.  There is
also the issue that adding algorithms does not help to keep a standard
clean.  I was not in favor of bzip2 for that reasons and in
retrospective I's better not pushed the ZLIB algorithm.

Let each tool do what it can do best.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei.  Auschnahmen regelt ein Bundeschgesetz.