Compression routines - please include 7-Zip

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Aug 21 15:56:18 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:43:52AM -0500, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
> > Settle down.  I am arguing for the inclusion of 7zip IN THE FUTURE!
>
> Once more, this mailing list is not the correct forum to raise your
> concerns.  Please do it on the IETF OpenPGP WG mailing list.
>
> > What I am arguing for is NOT to forget 7zip exists
> > when you do the next iteration of the RFC.
>
> Given that the RFC cycle has ended and a formal submission made to the
> IETF just weeks ago, I do not expect a new submission for at least five
> years.

Now that 2440bis has been submitted to the IETF, the best way to get a
new algorithm in to OpenPGP is to submit a simple draft that just adds
that algorithm.  It's essentially 3 pages of boilerplate, and a
paragraph or twho saying "add algorithm XXXX".  For example, here's
the draft I put together to add the Camellia cipher:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg15758.html

Of course, the WG has to approve it, and for procedural reasons I
doubt it would be considered until 2440bis is published (it's hard to
publish a document extending X until X is published).  Still, 2440bis
is already in the RFC editor queue, so it's coming.

David