Questions about generating keys

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Aug 24 14:58:29 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 09:33:59AM +0100, ngvb69-gnupg at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> >
> > The latest versions of PGP support them.
>
> I've got the most up-to-date version of PGP. In fact, it doesn't support them
> _yet_.
>
> The signs are there that they're _almost_ supported - in other words, if you
> try to add a DSA2 signing subkey the combo boxes have 1536, 2048, and 3072
> bit-length options, but when you hit the 'OK' button, you get the message
> 'Signing key size must be between 1024 and 1024 bits'.
>
> A representative from PGP Corporation confirmed (and I quote) that "PGP is
> still prepared to jump to the new DSS standard once it is finalized".

Thanks for checking this.  Can you tell me what happens if you import
a (GPG created) DSA2 key into PGP?  Is PGP then able to verify a DSA2
signature created with GPG?

It's reasonably common with this sort of thing to enable reading a new
feature before enabling writing it.  It's the whole
be-liberal-in-what-you-accept thing.

David