How to have 2 seperate keyrings on a server

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 23:10:06 CEST 2007

Greg Motter wrote:
> I'm working on setting up some encryption on a server and have been working
> with a consultant giving us what we should be doing. One thing he wants us
> to do is set up 2 keyrings and maintain 2 keyrings on our server. All we are
> doing is encrypting flat text files that contain sensitive info when they
> are at rest. Then having a separate process to decrypt these files when they
> are needed. What he wants us to do is this:
>
> 1) Have a first keyring with our main key pair. The decrypt process will
> access this keyring to do the decrypting.
>
> 2) Have a second keyring with just the public key from the first keyring.
> We'd then access this second keyring for our encryption process.

Good lord, the schemes these "Consultants" come up with.

>>From everything I've read. I see that you can change your keyring from the
> gpg.conf file. Is it possible to change the keyring you want to use from
> within the command line? I've tried using --keyring  and --primary-keyring
> from the command line a bit without success.
>
> Any suggestions?

try --homedir <directory>

Each set of keyring files go in their own (sub)directory

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"