pinentry-curses and gpg-agent ipc write error

Adam Richards adam at avertech.net
Tue Aug 28 19:18:29 CEST 2007

> > 		echo '...STARTING GPG-AGENT'
> > 		eval `/usr/local/bin/gpg-agent --daemon`
> > 		echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO >$HOME/.gpg-agent-info
>
> BTW, you can do this easier by using gpg-agent's --write-env-file option.

Nice tip!  Thanks.

> 1. Run pinentry manually:
>
>    $ pinentry
>    GETPIN
>
> If this works, pinentry is okay.

Ok, I execute pinentry and get this:

       | PIN: *************************_______________ |
       |                                               |
       |          <OK>                 <Cancel>        |

After typing in passphrase in the dialog, I get a successful echo
of my passphrase:

  pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
  D <...removed...>
  OK

Pinentry appears to be fine.

> 2. Get the gpg-connect-agent tool (It is part of gnupg2)
>
>    $ gpg-connect-agent
>    GET_CONFIRMATION X X X X
>
> You should then get a pinentry dialog.

This is the dialog I get:

       |   <OK>  <Cancel> |

So it also appears gpg-agent is fine.

> If this works. the problem is due to gpg.  To debug this, I
> suggest to use ktrace to tarce the system calls done by gpg.

Alright, will do.  I'll send relevant results of kdump of
ktrace.out soon.

Thanks Werner!

-Adam