GPG 1.4.x v.s 2.x

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 20 16:04:05 CET 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:51, aolsen at standard.com said:

> We get files from clients all over the world.  Are there features used in the 2.x versions that 1.4.x cannot handle?

Yes, S/MIME (i.e. CMS/X.509).  However if you are using OpenPGP that
does not effect you.  The OpenPGP code of GnuPG-2 is identically to the
code of GnuPG-1.  The major difference is that gpg2 requires a running
gpg-agent to ask for the passphrase.

If you don't want to change your work environment your best choice is to
go with gnupg 1.4.8

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner