storing password lists in mails to myself on IMAP?

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Tue Feb 13 22:30:03 CET 2007

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I use thunderbird on my laptop and desktop with an IMAP server, and
> I've been mailing myself encrypted mails with website passwords so I
> have access to them on both computers.
>
> This is just as secure as encrypting a file and copying it onto both
> computers without using e-mail as a medium, right?
>
> Or am I doing something stupid?

You're doing something "strange" anyway. The encryption is just as
strong either way, but any email client is liable to create temp
files and stuff which could hold unencrypted copies of your password
lists. Given that this is an IMAP account it's possible those temp
files exist on the IMAP server. :-(