GnuPG, Thunderbird, and Armor Headers From PGP 9.5

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Fri Feb 16 22:20:14 CET 2007

pete wrote the following on 2/15/07 11:28 PM:
[...]

> I played around for a while, and found a fix for this.  The top of the
> message looks like this:
>
>> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>> Version: PGP Desktop 9.5.2 (Build 4075) - not licensed for commercial use:
>> www.pgp.com
>
> PGP Desktop adds a second line for "www.pgp.com".

I am a Mac registered user of PGP 9.5.2, and I have just made some
googling on the issue you raise.

I have seen examples of similar PGP headers, originated only by freeware
versions of PGP Desktop (as far back as versions 7.*), where the header
e.g.:

Version: PGP 8.0.3 - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

comes in one single line.

I am aware that in your example, that header is longer because of the
'(Build.....) mention.

I correspond with a friend who uses a licensed PGP 9.5.2, where that
header is also shorter than the one you mention.

> If I paste the
> message into notepad and delete that line, then decrypt the text file I
> save, everything is fine.  It's a huge hassle to do every time I have a
> message, though (and a potential security issue),so I'm looking for a
> way to have this decrypt regularly in Thunderbird?
>
> Sorry if this should be in the enigmail list, I'm not quite sure where
> to send it.

As far as I can remember there's an excellent list that addresses PGP
issues named PGP-Basics: