GnuPG, Thunderbird, and Armor Headers From PGP 9.5

pete pcannon at riseup.net
Thu Feb 15 22:28:05 CET 2007

I have to communicate via PGP a lot via Windows, and I've been having a
problem for a while that I'm trying to avoid having to go through a
lengthy workaround.  I'm running XP, Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 with GnuPG for
Windows 0.7.4 (I know, I know -- I'm downloading an update right now,
but I'm not sure that's the problem).  When most people PGP me, they use
GnuPG, and it's straightforward: I enter my passphrase, and it decrypts.
 However, people emailing me using PGP Desktop 9.5.2 give me a big headache.

I'll enter my passphrase, and get this error:

gpg command line and output:,C:\\Program Files\\GNU\\GnuPG\\gpg.exe
--charset utf8  --batch --no-tty --status-fd 2 -d --passphrase-fd 0
--no-use-agent ,gpg: invalid armor header: www.pgp.com\r\n,gpg: invalid
radix64 character 2E skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E
skipped,gpg: CRC error; 661020 - 8E84F7,gpg: packet(3) with unknown
version 41

I played around for a while, and found a fix for this.  The top of the
message looks like this:

> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: PGP Desktop 9.5.2 (Build 4075) - not licensed for commercial use:
> www.pgp.com

PGP Desktop adds a second line for "www.pgp.com".  If I paste the
message into notepad and delete that line, then decrypt the text file I
save, everything is fine.  It's a huge hassle to do every time I have a
message, though (and a potential security issue), so I'm looking for a
way to have this decrypt regularly in Thunderbird?

Sorry if this should be in the enigmail list, I'm not quite sure where
to send it.