Symmetric encypher with private key decypher

Mikmorg mikmorg at mdmsolutions.org
Sat Jan 20 21:57:26 CET 2007

I am looking for a way to use symmetric encryption on a day-to-day basis,
using a key-file of some sort to decypher the file. I have decided that
using my asymmetric private key in the following way was the best for this,
using the following method:

dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=1 | gpg -c --pasphrase-fd=0 -e -r mikmorg
"$1"

Is there a better way to do the above? By better, I mean standard /
portable. This is just an idea I threw together, and hope its the best. If
anyone has any ideas for me, I would love to hear them.

Also, gpg wouldn't cut-out part of the stdin key from dd (expecting
text-only), if it encountered an \r, \n, or \0 character, would it? If thats
true, I definitely need to find another method.

Thanks,
 Mike Morgan