Openpgp card serial numbers

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jul 16 15:24:30 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:50, ged at solace.miun.se said:

> The specification for Openpgp card states that the serial number
> (+ manufacturers ID) must be globally unique. I wonder if this is truly
> needed or if "unique enough" would be ok.

Use a 0x0000 as manufacturer ID.  Thisis declared as a test card.

> keyring wouldn't it be enough to register a single manufacturers ID for
> use of javacard openpgp card and create a random serial number at applet
> instantiation?

I also thought about this and we should reserve a range of manufacturer
IDs just for this purpose.  For example 0x8000..0xfffe + the serial
number would give enough space for this.  Let me check with Achim what
we can put into the specs.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner